Captions has secured a $25 million Series B round of funding – with syncing AI-generated music a big part of the creative suite’s business model.
AI-powered creative studio captions announced that Success Part of its Series B funding round, which raised $25 million, led by Kleiner Perkins, a renowned technology venture capitalist. Additional investors include Sequoia Capital, Andreessen Horowitz and SV Angel, bringing total capital to $40 million.
With the official launch of its flagship product following a successful debut on the Apple App Store in early 2021, Series B funding marks a significant milestone for Captions. The company is positioned to further level the playing field for creators by enabling anyone to develop and publish studio-quality content using the power of AI.
Captions offers the concept of an AI-powered one-stop creative studio dedicated to improving “talking videos”. It simplifies and automates aspects of video production, including subtitling, editing, dubbing, scripting, and music integration. This streamlines the video creation process and makes it quick and easy for creators of all experience levels to bring their vision to life.
Outstanding features include:
- AI Dubbing: Seamlessly dub the speaker’s voice into another language so creators can reach new audiences.
- AI Shorts: Automatically extract “virus-worthy” clips from any long format video, allowing creators to easily promote their long format content and maximize the value of their existing material.
- AI Voiceover: Generate “indistinguishable from the human voice” voiceover based on text and allow creators to annotate videos without recording their own voice.
- AI-Zoom: Automatically integrate relevant zooms.
- AI Eye Contact: Correct the subject’s eye contact to make it appear as if they are looking directly at the camera.
- AI Music: Automatically compose unique and royalty-free music tailored to each video.
- AI Images and Emojis: Automatically insert relevant images and emojis into videos.
“Our vision for captions goes well beyond just video creation. It’s about empowering individuals, regardless of their background or experience, by providing them with tools to effectively communicate their ideas or stories,” says Gaurav Misra, co-founder and CEO of Captions.
“Video content is undergoing a remarkable transformation, with a major trend towards ‘talking videos’ – where creators face the camera directly to share opinions or personal stories,” Misra continues. “To support this evolution, we’ve built user-friendly features that improve talking videos and make quality content creation more accessible.”
“We were immediately intrigued by Gaurav’s sophisticated design flair and proven track record of building world-class products at companies like Snap and Microsoft,” adds Mike Vernal of Sequoia Capital. “The use of AI in video production through captions has the potential to revolutionize the studio experience for today’s creator economy.”