Luminate’s 2023 semi-annual report reveals its best-selling albums to date – both physical and digital combined – with Taylor Swift and K-pop albums dominating the list.
It’s been a big year for Taylor Swift, and Luminate’s music industry half-year data reflects that — in addition to the continued phenomenal global success of K-pop groups. Over half of the ten best-selling albums of 2023 so far have come from Korean pop groups or solo releases by members of BTS during the band’s hiatus.
Among the top albums sold in the first half of 2023 is Taylor Swifts midnightthree albums by K-pop bands – TOMORROW X TOGETHER’s The name chapter: TEMPTATIONStray Kids 5 Starsand girl group TWICE’s To be ready) and country music star Morgan Wallen One after the other.
Rounding out the second half of the list is Korean boy band Seventeen’s tenth mini-album, FML, Metallica’s eleventh studio album. 72 seasonstwo solo albums by members of BTS (Sugas Agust D project). D Day and Jimins FACE) and Melanie Martinez PORTALS.
Specifically, this list does not consider Total Equivalent Album (TEA) consumption or on-demand streams, and only considers verifiable physical and digital album sales. It also underscores the importance of physical sales in boosting K-pop sales, landing several acts on this list thanks to their legions of superfans willing to buy physical albums in a variety of formats (vinyl, CD, and digital sales ) to support their favorite artists.
Top albums by total sales (digital and physical)
- Taylor Swift- midnight – 607,000 copies
- TOMORROW X TOGETHER – The name chapter: TEMPTATION – 399,000 copies
- Stray Kids – 5 Stars – 327,000 copies
- TWICE – To be ready – 286,000 copies
- Morgan Wallen – One after the other – 242,000 copies
- seventeen – Seventeen 10th Mini Album “FML” – 236,000 copies
- Metallica – 72 seasons – 215,000 copies
- Agust D (Suga from BTS) – D Day – 200,000 copies
- Jimin (BTS) – FACE – 196,000 copies
- Melanie Martinez – PORTALS – 194,000 copies